Sunday, May 3, 2009

Weekend Project Update!

It's Sunday and finally time to show you the finished coffee table!! I am soooo happy with how this turned out I could seriously cry... I am not kidding.

Here we have the table sans glass in our crappy patio area (yes, I know it's a sty... we're working on it!)



I sanded the whole table lightly to smooth rough spots and create a "key" for the primer and paint to stick to.

Here she is all primed... it was about this time that I posted my feelings about the lattice work and how I hope to never have to deal with it again.

This was the first coat. Don't you love that gorgeous shade of grey/blue? It's Amphibian by Behr. I chose it on a total whim when the Home Depot paint lady looked at me askew after I requested Behr's Dense Shrub... She handed me the paint deck and told me to take it outside to get a better idea of the color in natural light. I am SO glad she did, or I wouldn't have found this gorgeous color!


After 2 coats of Poly, here is the finished product in the living room. I've not set up any table scape as yet.... Want to be totally sure that the Poly has dried before I go setting anything up. The last thing I want is to have things stuck to the surface.


So there you have it! My beautiful $15 coffee table rehab totalling just under $30 all told. Best of all, this color has inspired the whole living/dining color concept. More about that later. For now, behold the beauty....

P.S. Any of you veteran Craigslist furniture rehabbers ever tempted to send a picture of the refinished article to the person you bought it from in the first place? I am sure he thought we were some scrubs buying his beat up old $15 table... little does he know, it looks better now than it did when it was new.

What do you think? Did I make a good choice on the grey? Would you have done the lattice differently? I have some other ideas for ways to fix it, but I am going to live with it like this for a while and see how I like it before I go about changing.

ETA: I forgot to add the final, final pic complete with placemats to distract from the lattice.

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! It looks awesome! I can hardly believe it's the same table!! Love the colour, and everything about it! Sorry the lattice was a problem... I've heard the only way to tackle that stuff is with spray paint. But it was SO WORTH IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks so much Lu!! Thank you for the great advice on color. I actually found a great buffet/dresser at Ikea also in that grey... clearly you're a genius! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to come back for a second look... :)) Back again later for more looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ros, it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! You are mighty impressive with a paintbrush, lattice or no lattice. I wish I had your gift for picking colours. I'd never have picked that out, but I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Leanne! Actually, Lu was the inspiration on the color. I stink at picking colors myself. She suggested charcoal grey and I found a dark-ish grey that I liked.

    Lu, come back as many times as you like. I know I've spent WAY too much time staring at it myself! LOL

    ReplyDelete