Friday, May 22, 2009

Weekend Project: Finish Guest Room & Paint Cabinet

This weekend I am headed to my favorite Swedish home store to take advantage of the crazy deals on offer. With Monday being a public holiday, we're looking at a lovely (albeit rainy) long weekend. But I am totally ok with that!

Rainy days will force me to focus my attention on things I can complete indoors. Can you say guest room? Yes. Come hell or high water this is the weekend I am going to finally finish that room.

I also plan to rehab an old cabinet that I've dragged across three continents with me. I love love love my Oregon pine antique book case, even with it's missing pane of glass and lack of hardware. The fake fiberboard back and scratched surfaces. It has character and I love it... but plan on totally cleaning her up over the next few weeks, starting with a good sanding and few layers of paint this weekend. Right now she is standing in the entry, but I plan on relocating her to the guest room. Eventually I hope to do something about the backing, replace the missing pane of glass and get some cute hardware deserving of her. We've come a long way together her and I and I am confident that with a little makeover we will spend many more happy years together with (hopefully) a lot less globetrotting.

Apart from the above, I am hoping to find time to clear out and organize my closet. Reorganize the pantry and clean the fridge if I find time.

Top priority are the curtains though...

3 comments:

  1. The pine cabinet you got at the antiques shop in Staines? Wow, that has been with you a while then! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Design Sponge has some great cabinet makeovers. I like the ones with wallpaper.

    Have fun at Ikea! Hmmm I could do with a visit to Ikea tooooooooo. Hmmmmmm. But this weekend we're hitting the patio and the garden. They have been sadly neglected so far this Spring. We will reward ourselves with a spit braai, methinks. Will have to get my whip out first, tho... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staines? Hello! I meant Strand, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Staines! West Side Massive, Aight!

    Yep, the very same cabinet from Strand. The glass in the door was broken when friends came over and somehow a chair leg hit the glass... too many people in a tiny flat causes all kinds of breakages.

    I can't wait to see what you do with your fab patio space!

    ReplyDelete