Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Project Update!



Well it's 6pm on Sunday and while we've done a BUNCH of work, we've not completed everything on our list. (But we did a great job of everything, so I am ok with it).

Saturday went perfectly to plan. We cleared boxes, donated to charity and emptied all but Peter's table out of the garage.


We vacuumed, and swept and vacuumed and swept till we were happy that every last speck of dust had been removed, and then set about painting. The painting part went really quickly, I think it took us just under 2 hours start to finish and we did a great job! There are parts of the floor that had deep set grease stains that just wouldn't lift, so the paint is blotchy in places, but this afternoon it was dry enough for us to replace our furniture and start moving things back into the office, and get set up properly. I must say, the walls now look absolutely awful. With the floor looking so fab it really draws attention to the awful wall situation in here. But we'll get to them soon enough.

For now, we're just happy to have a clean office to work in. We started off throwing down the paint flecks that came with the paint, but after doing the top step decided that the look was more "garage" than office and that the grey floor actually looked perfectly good without them. I had to make a quick decision as the paint was drying fast and decided to scrap them for the rest of the space. Ultimately, I think the specks would have detracted away from the different concrete textures, and the oily patches, but all in all the room looks less like a garage now... moderately...

I have been toying with the idea of giving you a new picture of the garage with the painted floors, etc. But we have more plans for things we want to do in here next weekend, and I think I would rather wait until we have them done before I share the full view, so for now, here is the floor.

'Scuse the foot, but I had to put something in the shot, or it would have been a big grey square.

This foot, I assure you, was unintentional. But here you can see the two different floors. Speckled
floor is on
the raised portion of the floor, the plain grey is the rest of the room. You can also see one of the
greasy marks on the top left.


In other news, while we haven't totally conquered the box room, I did manage to set up a little crafty area in the guest room closet. It's small, but adequate and works well for me. I have a little piece that I can do what I like in, and my gaudy collection of crafty bits and pieces now all have a home out of sight. And such a CUTE home too! OK. So guests don't exactly have the roomiest space to hang their clothes when they come and visit us, but it's not like we have a ton of overnight guests, and most of the stuff can be packed away when guests come to stay.


Please pretend not to notice the linens about to topple off the top shelf.
We're still working on a "system" to keep everything in order up there.

So there you have it! Our weekend's work. I did also get one hung blind out of P, but honestly it was such a mission I haven't dared to ask for the second to be hung... I'll hit him up for that this week sometime, and then show you pics when we have less stuff piled up in the garage. My other mission for this week... take pics of and list all the leftover furniture on Craigslist/Freecycle and get RID of them!

4 comments:

  1. Lucky cow, a whole lil room for your crafts! It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, correction... a whole little cupboard for my crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but a cupboard that can fit a DESK in it, as well as a chair, sewing machine, and other crafty paraphernalia, should be classed as a ROOM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say... "Everything's bigger in Texas!" (Closets mostly only in houses built after 1980 though)

    ReplyDelete